What's new in CubicWeb 3.14?
The development of CubicWeb 3.14 was rather long and included a lot of API changes detailed here. As usual backward compatibility is provided for public APIs.
Please note this release depends on yams 0.34 (which is incompatible with prior cubicweb releases regarding instance re-creation).
- Entity.fetch_rql the restriction argument has been deprecated and should be replaced with a call to the new Entity.fetch_rqlst method, get the returned value (a rql Select node) and use the RQL syntax tree API to include the above-mentioned restrictions.
Backward compat is kept with proper warning.
Entity.fetch_order and Entity.fetch_unrelated_order class methods have been replaced by Entity.cw_fetch_order and Entity.cw_fetch_unrelated_order with a different prototype:
instead of taking (attr, var) as two string argument, they now take (select, attr, var) where select is the rql syntax tree being constructed and var the variable node.
instead of returning some string to be inserted in the 'ORDERBY' clause, it has to modify the syntax tree
Backward compat is kept with proper warning, except if:
custom order method returns something else the a variable name with or without the sorting order (e.g. cases where you sort on the value of a registered procedure as it was done in the tracker for instance). In such case, an error is logged telling that this sorting is ignored until API upgrade.
client code uses direct access to one of those methods on an entity (no code known to do that).
Entity._rest_attr_info class method has been renamed to Entity.cw_rest_attr_info
No backward compat since this is a protected method an no code is known to use it outside cubicweb itself.
- AnyEntity.linked_to has been removed as part of a refactoring of this functionality (link a entity to another one at creation step). It was replaced by a EntityFieldsForm.linked_to property.
In the same refactoring, cubicweb.web.formfield.relvoc_linkedto, cubicweb.web.formfield.relvoc_init and cubicweb.web.formfield.relvoc_unrelated were removed and replaced by RelationField methods with the same names, that take a form as a parameter.
No backward compatibility yet. It's still time to cry for it. Cubes known to be affected: tracker, vcsfile, vcreview.
- CWPermission entity type and its associated require_permission relation type (abstract) and require_group relation definitions have been moved to a new localperms cube. Some functions from the cubicweb.schemas package as well as some views where moved too. This makes cubicweb itself smaller while you get all the local permissions stuff into a single and documented place.
Backward compat is kept for existing instances, though you should have installed the localperms cubes. A proper error should be displayed when trying to migrate to 3.14 an instance the use CWPermission without the new cube installed. For new instances / test, you should add a dependancy on the new cube in cubes using this feature, along with a dependancy on cubicweb >= 3.14.
jQuery has been updated to 1.6.4 and jquery-tablesorter to 2.0.5. No backward compat issue known.
Table views refactoring : new RsetTableView and EntityTableView, as well as rewritten an enhanced version of PyValTableView on the same bases, with logic moved to some column renderers and a layout. Those should be well documented and deprecates former TableView, EntityAttributesTableView and CellView, which are however kept for backward compat, with some warnings that may not be very clear unfortunatly (you may see your own table view subclass name here, which doesn't make the problem that clear). Notice that _cw.view('table', rset, *kwargs) will be routed to the new RsetTableView or to the old TableView depending on given extra arguments. See #1986413.
display_name don't call .lower() anymore. This may leads to changes in your user interface. Different msgid for upper/lower cases version of entity type names, as this is the only proper way to handle this with some languages.
IEditControlAdapter has been deprecated in favor of EditController overloading, which was made easier by adding dedicated selectors called match_edited_type and match_form_id.
Pre 3.6 API backward compat has been dropped, though data migration compatibility has been kept. You may have to fix errors due to old API usage for your instance before to be able to run migration, but then you should be able to upgrade even a pre 3.6 database.
Deprecated cubicweb.web.views.iprogress in favor of new iprogress cube.
Deprecated cubicweb.web.views.flot in favor of new jqplot cube.
Unintrusive API changes
Refactored properties forms (eg user preferences and site wide properties) as well as pagination components to ease overridding.
New cubicweb.web.uihelper module with high-level helpers for uicfg.
New anonymized_request decorator to temporary run stuff as an anonymous user, whatever the currently logged in user.
New 'verbatimattr' attribute view.
New facet and form widget for Integer used to store binary mask.
match_kwargs and match_form_params selectors both accept a new once_is_enough argument.
printable_value is now a method of request, and may be given dict of formatters to use.
[Rset]TableView allows to set None in 'headers', meaning the label should be fetched from the result set as done by default.
Field vocabulary computation on entity creation now takes __linkto information into accounet.
Started a cubicweb.pylintext pylint plugin to help pylint analyzing cubes: you should now use
to analyse your cubicweb code.
- Support for HAVING in 'SET' and 'DELETE' queries (require rql 0.31).
- New AT_TZ function to get back a timestamp at a given time-zone (require logilab-database 1.8).
- New WEEKDAY date extraction function (require logilab-database 1.8).
User interface changes
- Datafeed source now present an history of the latest import's log, including global status and debug/info/warning/error messages issued during imports. Import logs older than a configurable amount of time are automatically deleted.
- Breadcrumbs component is properly kept when creating an entity with '__linkto'.
- users and groups management now really lead to that (i.e. includes groups management).
- New 'jsonp' controller with 'jsonexport' and 'ejsonexport' views.
As usual, the 3.14 also includes a bunch of other minor changes, and bug fixes, though this time an effort has been done so that every API changes / new API should be listed here. Please download and install CubicWeb 3.14 and report any problem on the tracker and/or the mailing-list!